As you jump in, ready for love, don’t let the optimistic twinkle of falling in love let you lose sight of your good sense.
Online dating is a great way to meet the right person, and here are ways to do so safely.
1. Photos should be solos. You may be proud of your children, but a dating site isn’t the place to publicize them.
2. Secrets are okay. You don’t need to show them everything. A good rule of thumb is if it would make your grandparent blush, don’t post it.
3. Keep your big identifiers private. This includes your full birth date, address, social security number, phone number and bank PIN codes. While you want to get to know someone, no one needs to know your SS# in order to date you.
4. Get a dating e-mail address. Set up an email account especially for communicating with your matches. This will keep unwanted messages or spam from jamming up your favorite inbox.
5. Go with your gut and trust yourself. If you get an off feeling about someone, you’re probably right.
6. Keep it public, local and familiar. Meeting a stranger in a place you don’t know (or traveling to another city just for the date) means it could have a poorly lit parking lot, questionable crowd, or be very secluded.
7. Tell a friend. Someone should know where you’re going to be and who you’re going to be with. Want to keep your online dating a secret? No worries – you probably have more friends doing the same thing than you think! You can be each other’s buddies. They can even call you at a set time if you need a bail-out call.
8. Substitute a Coke for that third glass of wine. The more you drink, the less your common sense shines through and the more likely you are to let your guard down.